Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Individuals 3



Grover Cleveland Alexander - 1917


A picture of "Old Pete" taken as he arrives in Chicago, after being traded from the Philadelphia Phillies to the Cubs. He is third on the list for all-time wins as a pitcher of 20 seasons - from 1911 to 1930. World War I veteran - made sergeant. He suffered from shell shock when he came back, but still managed a few great years. Alexander was also an epileptic and alcoholic. Inducted into the Hall of Fame in 1938. Looking dapper and somewhat annoyed here in 1917, carrying what looks to be a (cool) leather duffel bag.




Girls Waiting For Bus - July 1940


Taken in 1940 in Chicago's 1st Ward, which is where I've lived for most of the last 14 years. Unfortunately, I can't identify the building in the background (if it still exists). Bus (trolley) stops look a bit different today. I bet I see a few similar vintage hats being used for shade this summer though.

No comments:

Post a Comment